Monday, June 15, 2009

beautiful woman

You are the beautiful woman of my memories.
You are that woman for all time, in all circumstances.
I hear your voice, I see the beautiful woman I met
so many years ago.
I see you now and still I see that same woman I saw
the day I fell in love with you.
What does it mean, this emphasis on beauty?
A line of a song says all that's needed:–
"I'll go woo her for her beauty...she must answer yes or no".
That singer and I wooed because of perception,
of desire, of the need to merge with a woman
whose presence signals the need to seek a mate.
We call it love, and love there is, but something
deeper, molecular, genetic is its source
and the beauty that we see is only in our cells,
clothe it in poetry as we wish, it's not an abstract,
it's warm flesh and skin and itching in the heart
that draws our senses and speeds the pulse with joy.
I wonder, can you ever answer 'yes' or 'no'?

No comments:

Post a Comment